24 February 2010

because everything doesn't have to have a point

I was eating an orange today, and after the last slice had slid deliciously down my throat, I discovered one of these tiny little "bead" things still swimming around in my mouth. I pondered it a moment, how curious and exciting it was that something as large and plain as an orange should be made up of such exquisitely juicy little pieces. Then I decided to swallow it and think about something else. At the last instant it occurred to me that such a tiny pocket of juice, tucked away inside its own minute skin, must have been separately reserved because it tasted either very good or very bad. I determined to find out which it was. I swished it around in my mouth. I tried for several minutes to catch it in my front teeth and puncture it, and nearly hyperventilated before giving it up. At long last, the magnitude of force between my tongue and lower front teeth made it pop, but it didn't taste like anything.
I just thought you'd like to know.

3 comments:

patty said...

We are of like mind. Just thought you'd like to know.

Luke said...

It is interesting how the less of something there is in your mouth, the harder it is to chew. It seems to be a general rule that applies even to things outside ones mouth.

Cherie said...

You are a delight!