21 August 2010

the never-ending hitchhiker's guide, and a sleeping child

_Two movies in one night - ridiculous? Probably. But here's what they were: "The Never-Ending Story" and "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy." The former was a childhood staple of mine that I'd nearly forgotten, rediscovered at the library; the latter is a film based on a book that I'd semi-recently absorbed with a mixture of amused incredulity and profound disappointment.
_"The Never-Ending Story" has its flaws, pervasive and hard to ignore. Outdated special effects, for example, along with a messy hodge podge of convincing and crummy acting, reasonable and ridiculous dialogue, good morals and morals with no more foundation than a zephyr. All things taken together, it's not that great a movie - but there's still something captivating about it; something that rings true and makes my heart nod and chuckle contentedly. Something essentially and delightfully childish. Maybe this feeling stems from nothing more than an incoherent fondness for the fraying threads that wind back through my life and tie this silly film to my own childhood. Maybe I'm just off my onion. But I think that, in the midst of a certain amount of confused babbling, "The Never-Ending Story" has something important and true to say about the vital necessity of imagination, and about the unique power of story.
_I hate trying to write positive media reviews (ergo, my nearly consistent failure to ever do so). In the act of trying to describe and explain what's good about a thing, and why, I always end up feeling like a painted clown pantomiming Shakespeare - exaggerating it and ruining it and killing it. So I'll just leave you with that to chew on for now, and maybe you could watch the movie sometime and see what you think.
_So after I finished watching the above-mentioned film with Eli and Sam, I went downstairs and found the rest of my family watching "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy." I watched the last half with them, then went back to the beginning and watched the first half - a fitting approach, I thought, to a tale of such a consummately pointless and wandering nature. For book and movie alike - though the writing is witty and imaginative; and though I cannot deny the existence of periodic goldmines of hilarity therein; and though the narrative is amusing in its absolute failure to make any sense - all this withstanding, in the end the whole thing boils down to little more than a bitterly cynical, despairingly laxadaisical commentary on the ultimate meaninglessness of life. Douglas Adams glories in nothingness. "Eat, drink, and be merry - for tomorrow we die," as they say. So long, and thanks for all the fish.
_Unfortunately, I tend to enjoy writing negative reviews of popular media; but I'm going to cut this one short, because that's not really my point.
_What I really wanted to say, is something like this. Last night I watched two movies, both of them based on the whacked-out imaginations of two very different, yet similarly wide-eyed, lunatics. (I use the term only with the greatest respect and affection.) But neither tale can afford the luxury of being just an empty narrative. One is an angry fist shaken desperately at God and much of what He has called good. The other, though stumbling often over its own feet, leads us gently outside and points out the flickering stars, whispering how beautiful they are, and making us wonder Who put them there. Oh, beware of ever saying something is "just a story." You're living one right now. Stories matter.
_I wandered upstairs after the movies were over, and found the light on in my room. We have bunk beds, and Sam was curled up asleep on the lower one, which is Cami's. On my dresser was an unwrapped chocolate coin with two bites taken out of it - underneath was a yellow sticky note, and in a child's mom-aided scrawl, written "For Tierney. Love, Sam." I guess my heart melted a little around the edges, and I might have either laughed or cried if anything had happened just then; but nothing did. I slid him to the edge of the bed and picked him up, warm and a little sticky where he'd been snuggled against himself. He stirred and opened his eyes just a bit as I carried him across the dark hallway, but he didn't make a sound, and he rolled right over and was still when I laid him in his own bed.
_And I thought, this is why we tell stories. I'm not exactly sure what it is, but this is it. Something in that infinite trust, that warmth and vulnerability, that absolutely childish wonder at this marvelous world we're a part of. The vitality and the joy of making up stories is something that, given the opportunity, most children embrace easily; and it's something that, tragically, most of them seem to forget as they morph into adults. Grow up, to be sure - but never so much that you lose your child's heart. God made us to need stories. That's remarkable.

4 comments:

Luke Lorenz said...

I like! Beautiful usage of words. You are a gifted writer! Your flow is so smooth! I continually caught myself surprised at the incredible uniqueness of each word in its usage and placement.

Funny note: I have a built in dictionary tool for Google Chrome that looks up words when I double click on them and when I clicked on what I presumed to be your misspelling of lackadaisical, it pulled up this definition "laxadaisical: Common misspelling of lackadaisical"

So, I was correct in noticing the misspelling, but don't take it too seriously coming from me, as when I was typing this, my spell checker told me to correct my misspelling of the word "Mispelling." :D Irony!

Oddly enough, I literally just bought The NeverEnding Story on Saturday during a half off sale at Last Stop CD Shop here in Sioux Falls. We watched it that night! I thought many of the same things about it... We had a hoot anyway, choosing which of us would play which characters on the screen. Our friend Colette was the horse first, and when it died, she became the giant turtle, and later the old woman referred to as "wench" by her scientist husband. (We chose this character for her before he started giving her the title.) She was one of the oracle statues and also Falcor. It was probably what made the movie finishable. Hitchhikers was OK as well... Haven't seen that one in awhile though.

tierney said...

Ha! Thanks - that's the sort of thing wannabe writers like to hear. ;) To say and describe things in unexpected ways, in ways that catch you off guard and make you actually think about things you thought you already knew ... that's the hope, though I think I seldom get quite there.

Thanks also for pointing out the typo - I actually had no idea it was supposed to be spelled or pronounced that way. And I'm mean (internally) to typo-typers, so I'll eat my mispelling hat along with you. ;)

That's crazy you just watched the Never Ending Story! I don't think I would have sat through it if I hadn't watched it so often when I was little ... but as things stand, I'm rather fond of the silly thing. :) Glad you found a creative way to get through it, too.

Luke Lorenz said...

I am glad that you are encouraged! We all need that every now and then!

Yeah, I always thought it was laxadaisical as well... because to be “lax” on something means to slack... Maybe the word should be Slackadaisical? Now, Slaxidaisical would mean something like someone wears slacks, but not with much enthusiasm, or something. Rare usage for that word I imagine...

I am not sure I am picking up what your putting down with the “I'm mean (internally) to typo-typers, so I'll eat my mispelling hat along with you.” Its probably really obvious and I am just thinking too hard about it... (Or perhaps not, you are a unique one :D) (Note, that the... I can't think of what the symbol is called now... These, “( )” Hmm.. Brain fart...

Anyway, whenever I type this “:D)” I think that the “)” symbol is a double chin, well, its not. But you probably didn't think of it that way anyway, so this whole spiel is probably unnecessary...

Regarding the NeverEnding Story... Yeah, I bought it thinking “That movie was so awesome when I was a kid! That flying dragon-dog thing! Yeah!” And I did a skip jump in place with one hand in the air as if it was the last scene in a montage from an 80's movie... And then we watched it... The nostalgic value was there, but I don't know if its enough to merit keeping the movie. I will probably sell it back to Last Stop sometime and see if they have a copy of The Fellowship of the Ring” in stock. (The book.)

Keep writing!

tierney said...

In that case, lackadaisical probably really means that you lack daisies ... which is clearly an excellent reason to go around moping and doing nothing in particular.

About the typo-hat thing - I only meant that, in spite of the fact that I'm a bit of a spelling/grammar freak, it turns out that I make more than my share of such mistakes myself. It was an ambiguous remark, and probably doesn't really make sense, anyway; don't worry about not getting it. ;)