18 September 2008

Lunchtime at the Nursing Home

I used to work in the kitchen at the local nursing home. This was (and remains) my opinion of the food there--and of almost all institutionally prepared "food" as well. (I'm cheating on this blog thing so far...by posting things I wrote months or even years ago. Eventually, however, I will write something new.)

"Bring the poison for the inmates!"
Calls the Captain to the guard.
"Cook them all the food that we hate:
Make it soggy, dry, or hard;
But if it's pleasant to the palate,
We will feather you with tar!"
"Might as well just feed them fishbait,"
Someone mumbles to the chard.

"What they like the best is plastic,"
Says the Captain with a smile.
"Soaked in chemicals and gases,
And the waters of the Nile.
Call it food (don't sound sarcastic),
And hum gaily all the while!"
Grumbles someone, "In the Arctic
There are things to eat less vile."

"Forward, march!" now cries the Captain.
"Down the hall we go to feed!
They are waiting in the dungeon:
Thence we go to quench their greed!
With a pile of Slime and Onions
We supply their every need."
"Nearer death with every luncheon,"
Mutters someone. "That's our creed."

3 comments:

Luke said...

My, do you have a way with words. What you say is so true too.

Qtierney said...

Why...thank you. Merely the fruit of one more imagination that probably really ought to be locked up.

Yet another benefit of home-schooling: you escape from having to grow up on pretend cafeteria "food" all your life.

And if I have anything to say about it, my parents will never live in a nursing home. Ever.

Unknown said...

Just to prove I do get on the blogs occaisionally. :) And I'll probably be constantly posting as Jordon, seeing as his name comes up automatically, and then I don't have to try to remember my user name and password.